Any Christian feeling down or discouraged should study Paul’s great letter to the Philippians. No book in the Bible addresses the secrets to Christian joy like Philippians. What was Paul’s secret? How could he remain joyful in his circumstances? We find out by studying this letter.
Purpose of Bible Study Guide on Philippians
I compiled this Philippians Bible study guide to help Christians in their personal study. This guide is designed for those who study the Bible using an English translation. The original Greek will be referenced, but the guide does not require any knowledge of New Testament Greek.
If you want a summary on How to Study the Bible, please refer to these articles.
- How to Interpret the Bible for Yourself?
- 7 Basic Tools in a Bible Study Library
- Personal Bible Study: My 12 Step Process
Introductory Material to the Book of Philippians
Brief Introduction to Philippians
Philippians Introduction gives a brief introduction to Philippians. This can supplement what you can read in your study Bible. This article includes the following:
- Background: authorship, recipient, current circumstance and historical situation, author’s purposes, and overall theme.
- Chapter summary: one sentence summary of each chapter.
- Book outline: outline summary of each major section and paragraph of the book.
- Bible dictionary entries of (a) city of Philippi, (b) citizens of Philippi, and (c) church of Philippi.
Philippians Overview PDF Handouts
- Philippians in Paragraph Form: Philippians in English Standard Version (ESV) formatted in paragraph form. This is useful to read the epistle without any chapter or verse markings.
- Philippians Parallel Study: Compares Philippians in three English translations: English Standard Version (ESV), NASB (New American Standard Bible), and NET Bible.
- Philippians Propositional Outline: Philippians in English Standard Version (ESV) formatted in a propositional outline. This is a good starting point to analyze the syntactical relationships of the clauses and phrases of each sentence. This is extracted from the Propositional Outline by Logos Bible Software.
- Philippi Atlas Map: Map that shows the location of Philippi and other important cities during the first century AD.
Guide to Single Volume Commentaries on Philippians
If you decide you want to purchase a commentary dedicated to the study of Philippians, here is my updated guide to the best Philippians commentaries.
Philippians Bible Study Passage Guide and Walk–Through
PHILIPPIANS 1:1-11 – GREETING, THANKSGIVING, AND PRAYER
- Philippians 1:1-2: 5 Desires Christians Should Cultivate
- Philippians 1:3-6: 6 Elements of Christian Thanksgiving
PHILIPPIANS 1:12-18 – PAUL’S IMPRISONMENT
PHILIPPIANS 1:19-26 – PAUL TORN BETWEEN LIFE AND DEATH
PHILIPPIANS 1:27-30 – UNITY IN CONTENDING FOR THE FAITH
PHILIPPIANS 2:1-11 – UNITY THROUGH CHRISTLIKE HUMILITY
PHILIPPIANS 2:12-18 – PURITY IN A WICKED GENERATION
PHILIPPIANS 2:19-30 – TIMOTHY AND EPAPHRODITUS
PHILIPPIANS 3:1-11 – WARNING AGAINST CONFIDENCE IN THE FLESH
PHILIPPIANS 3:12-21 – PRESSING ON TOWARD THE GOAL
PHILIPPIANS 4:1-9 – EXHORTATIONS AND ENCOURAGEMENTS
PHILIPPIANS 4:10-20 – GENEROSITY OF THE PHILIPPIANS
PHILIPPIANS 4:21-23 – CLOSING GRACE
Philippians Exegetical Phrasing Diagrams (PDF)
Below are PDF handouts of phrasing diagrams of Philippians. These diagrams attempt to show the syntactical relationships of clauses and phrases in each sentence. On the left side, the English Standard Version (ESV) is diagrammed. On the right side, the NA28 Greek text is diagrammed.